www.DTSFab.com Desert Sand and Trail Fabrication for the off road enthusiast, driver, and builder - discussion forums, on line store, and advice - your one stop off road shop.

• July 25, 2017, 08:28:42 AM *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Edge Products - member and sponsor of DTSfab.com - offering Australia and the USA buggy plans, parts and kitsets
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chroming small parts ??  (Read 411 times)

Welcome to DTSfab.com. Please post a short introduction .

YOU MUST BE LOGGED IN TO VIEW PHOTOS / ATTACHMENTS.

We are very glad you found us. Membership is free to all.
If you like what you are reading why not sign up as a member so you can see all of what DTS has to offer?

For those that like a bit more risque,less PG atmosphere we have the VIP room for only $20.00 a year.

Whichever membership you choose you will find a wealth of information to help you along with your project whether it be for Desert Trail or Sand.

Please enjoy the site.

By the way; this pesky message goes away when you join! What are you waiting for? Join Now.

Lance-W

Chroming small parts ??
« on: December 29, 2016, 05:23:23 PM »
Anyone have a place to get small stuff chromed?  I don't care where it is in the country as long as they're reliable and do quality work.

I need to get this escutcheon and the handle chromed.

I've been working on this (yes, I know it's not a buggy.......) and the chroming is all that's left.

http://monitortop.freeforums.net/thread/931/1936-ck-15-a16

dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness

Re: Chroming small parts ??
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 10:05:33 PM »
we do have a local place called lincoln inudstries formerly lincoln plating however once they got the harley contracts they quit taking off the street small jobs.  they did do good work though but a place called http://www.siouxplating.com/  is another place i have always heard good things about but no personal experiences.

Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 07:32:51 AM »
Damn Lance, I looked thru those pics.  Woo, my hats off to ya bud.  Perfect beer fridge.

You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 09:24:10 PM »
Anyone have a place to get small stuff chromed?  I don't care where it is in the country as long as they're reliable and do quality work.

I need to get this escutcheon and the handle chromed.

I've been working on this (yes, I know it's not a buggy.......) and the chroming is all that's left.

http://monitortop.freeforums.net/thread/931/1936-ck-15-a16

I don't claim to know a lot but, my dad was a plater his entire life. I worked with him on a chrome line at a shop he work at for twenty years plus.  I was the buffer boy.  #1 what goes into the chrome tank must look chromed. That means that the buffer boy must work his but off polishing said pice.  Every pit or bump must be buffed out for the part to look brite smooth and shinny.  Show chrome must have several layers of copper laid on it and polished after each each layer.  Show chrome is softer then hard chrome because of the copper.  Show chrome also must have a very fine layer of nickel laid on it to give its blue  luster. Chrome is only about 70 or 80 percent coverable to any one part.  If there are any deep cavities chrome will not sink down into them.  You have to build a special antidote that sets into the cavity to attract the chrome powder during the tank time.  That means the buffer boy must find a way to polish said cavity.  For every ,001 of chrome it takes one hour of tank time.  After the part comes out of the chrome tank it then goes back to the buffer boy to make look shinny.  For when it comes out of the tank it looks like a piece of pitted rough cast steel. Chrome is a powder that is put in a water solution that is charged negative and the part is charged positive.  That way the chrome flakes will attach themselves to the part. 

So a recap
# one the parts must look like it is chromed before it is chromed.

We have a shop here in Wichita Robbys Hobbies that will do custom work still. 

« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 06:17:49 AM by fastcorvairs »

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 10:58:43 PM »
Fast says polish the shit out of it before sending to plater for best results............................... ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D

"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots" Albert Einstein

Lance-W

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 09:54:47 AM »
Fast says polish the shit out of it before sending to plater for best results............................... ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D

Yup   I got that part  LMAO

Lance-W

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 09:56:49 AM »
I don't claim to know a lot but, my dad was a plater his entire life. I worked with him on a chrome line at a shop he work at for twenty years plus.  I was the buffer boy.  #1 what goes into the chrome tank must look chromed. That means that the buffer boy must work his but off polishing said pice.  Every pit or bump must be buffed out for the part to look brite smooth and shinny.  Show chrome must have several layers of copper laid on it and polished after each each layer.  Show chrome is softer then hard chrome because of the copper.  Show chrome also must have a very fine layer of nickel laid on it to give its blue  luster. Chrome is only about 70 or 80 percent coverable to any one part.  If there are any deep cavities chrome will not sink down into them.  You have to build a special antidote that sets into the cavity to attract the chrome powder during the tank time.  That means the buffer boy must find a way to polish said cavity.  For every ,001 of chrome it takes one hour of tank time.  After the part comes out of the chrome tank it then goes back to the buffer boy to make look shinny.  For when it comes out of the tank it looks like a piece of pitted rough cast steel. Chrome is a powder that is put in a water solution that is charged negative and the part is charged positive.  That way the chrome flakes will attach themselves to the part. 

So a recap
# one the parts must look like it is chromed before it is chromed.

We have a shop here in Wichita Robbys Hobbies that will do custom work still. 

So Buffer Boy,

Do you think I could call Robbie's and send him the parts or do I need to wait till your back in Kansas?

fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 11:01:27 AM »
Call them.   http://www.dsifinishing.com/rh.html

"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots" Albert Einstein

Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 06:53:45 AM »
Tell 'em buffer boy refered ya! LOL

You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.
Pages: [1]   Go Up