www.DTSFab.com Desert Sand and Trail Fabrication for the off road enthusiast, driver, and builder - discussion forums, on line store, and advice - your one stop off road shop.

• June 26, 2017, 02:52:25 PM *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Arizona Transaxle - member and sponsor of DTSfab.com - offering member's discounts for transaxle repairs and drive line components including Mendeola, Albins, and Sandrail Bus Box (091)
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Awesome Shipping Container Cabin  (Read 777 times)

Welcome to DTSfab.com. Please post a short introduction .

YOU MUST BE LOGGED IN TO VIEW PHOTOS / ATTACHMENTS.

We are very glad you found us. Membership is free to all.
If you like what you are reading why not sign up as a member so you can see all of what DTS has to offer?

For those that like a bit more risque,less PG atmosphere we have the VIP room for only $20.00 a year.

Whichever membership you choose you will find a wealth of information to help you along with your project whether it be for Desert Trail or Sand.

Please enjoy the site.

By the way; this pesky message goes away when you join! What are you waiting for? Join Now.

komelika

• Never stop learning!

Awesome Shipping Container Cabin
« on: December 28, 2014, 10:50:48 AM »
I've always dreamed of building a remote cabin some day and I came across this a while back. Seeing as how most of you are very creative I thought you might get a rise out of this guy's cabin. He obviously has a keen attention to detail so I figured you all might appreciate what he did here.

Enjoy!

The outside doesn't do it justice.
http://seacontainercabin.blogspot.com/

If you are too impatient to click through the build process then check out the interior pics.

http://seacontainercabin.blogspot.com/p/finished-rooms_16.html
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 05:16:13 PM by komelika »

If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

http://sandjunky710.blogspot.com/

fabr

• Administrator
Re: Awesome Shipping Container Cabin
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 07:46:29 PM »
Been  seeing a lot of those used for that . Only issue I see is there is no real cost saving over just building a much better insulated structure conventionally for the same basic cost but much easier done conventionally with boards and plywood. They are cool as can be though!!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 07:53:37 PM by fabr »

"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots" Albert Einstein

BDKW1

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 08:04:23 PM »
Shipping containers here are double what they are on the coasts. Much more cost effective if you live near Los Angles or some other major shipping port.

fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 08:56:52 PM »
Hadn't considered that . We have several people around here using them,earth bermed, for storm shelters.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots" Albert Einstein

komelika

• Never stop learning!

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 09:01:13 AM »
I think this guy lives in Oklahoma and he paid something like $2400 per container shipped with a total cost of his build being $35K, including well and landscaping, but not including land. That isn't bad. I think I read $25K without well and landscaping. I think a shipping container is easily double that here in NM.

Considering that he did everything himself, having the containers shipped probably saved a ton of time and potential labor costs over framing a house.

The other aspect is the recycling of containers from a green perspective.

If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

http://sandjunky710.blogspot.com/

fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 09:36:14 AM »
I think this guy lives in Oklahoma and he paid something like $2400 per container shipped with a total cost of his build being $35K, including well and landscaping, but not including land. That isn't bad. I think I read $25K without well and landscaping. I think a shipping container is easily double that here in NM.

Considering that he did everything himself, having the containers shipped probably saved a ton of time and potential labor costs over framing a house.

The other aspect is the recycling of containers from a green perspective.
That sounds about right price either way doing labor yourself.. I was thinking,if wanting a remote site cabin,it would be perfect. Build at home,at your convenience,move to site. WHat could be easier?For my actual house though.I'd have to stay conventional. Things such as resale value and such.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

sandycrack

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 10:11:39 AM »
Being made of steel I would think they would be pretty fire resistant?  At least if you didn't have wood for the inner walls, no trees within 20' and steel shutters a fire might just go on by.  If not living there full time steel shutters would be a plus to keep out the weather and riffraff.  I know living on the plains and having all the grass fires we have tried to use more gravel areas and keep the trees back to help.

You smell that?

Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 08:09:14 PM »
The main goal was to have a backup plan encase things go bad.

Pretty much figured that as his goal when I saw his pantry and it looked like more than a few shelves in my garage. 

I could see the appeal and know folks use them here in AZ as buried bunkers. Better options IMHO

I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up