www.DTSFab.com Desert Sand and Trail Fabrication for the off road enthusiast, driver, and builder - discussion forums, on line store, and advice - your one stop off road shop.

• July 27, 2017, 08:45:40 PM *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Doug Heim's Cutting Edge Performance found at DTSFab.com dune and mini buggy fabrication supplies and parts with DTSFab.com member discounts.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone recognize this chassis?  (Read 459 times)

Welcome to DTSfab.com. Please post a short introduction .

YOU MUST BE LOGGED IN TO VIEW PHOTOS / ATTACHMENTS.

We are very glad you found us. Membership is free to all.
If you like what you are reading why not sign up as a member so you can see all of what DTS has to offer?

For those that like a bit more risque,less PG atmosphere we have the VIP room for only $20.00 a year.

Whichever membership you choose you will find a wealth of information to help you along with your project whether it be for Desert Trail or Sand.

Please enjoy the site.

By the way; this pesky message goes away when you join! What are you waiting for? Join Now.

komelika

• Never stop learning!

Anyone recognize this chassis?
« on: December 01, 2014, 05:34:46 PM »
I know these aren't the greatest pics, but does anyone recognize it? Looks like they were planning to put a windshield on it.

If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

http://sandjunky710.blogspot.com/

BDKW1

Re: Anyone recognize this chassis?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 06:04:23 PM »
Chenowith knock off, there were a lot of different companies over the years that have copied that frame.

komelika

• Never stop learning!

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 07:07:41 PM »
Definitely looks standard. I wasn't sure if the nerf bars would narrow it down. I've never seen those nerfs before.

I'm picking it up for $1200. It has an IRS Type 1, dual port motor, king pin front end, and turn brakes. I think that's a steal. 

If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

komelika

• Never stop learning!

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 12:21:25 AM »

I'm pretty stoked. It needs some TLC, but it has potential. I picked it up for a steal. I thought it had a type 1, but it has a 6 rib Bus transaxle, as well as a dual port motor (she had no idea the CCs), disc brakes, and a turn brake. It has nearly everything to complete it. The seats with covers are in the truck. My father-in-law and I will be taking it down to bare chassis for paint and total rewire. My initial plan was to sell it after we shined it up. I think I could get $4K locally, maybe more. I'm leaning more toward keeping it now and selling the Barracuda. I need a passenger seat and reverse. It would be nice to be able to take my son and enjoy the desert with him.

fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 06:06:56 AM »
Looks a lot like the old Bug Pack frames. They came as a kit as two sides welded togather and you add the cross tubes. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 06:45:01 AM »
I'd say SCORE!!!

If it were street legal that be bonus.  Some comfy cushy seat will be a nice addition.  And two (seats) are always better than one.

You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

komelika

• Never stop learning!

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 09:32:59 AM »
My supervisor's late husband was working to make it street legal, which is the reason for the windshield frame. It came with the lexan for a windshield. I might go in that direction if I do keep it. I think a set of 3x3 training arms for better rear suspension and spindles up front is really all it needs.

I dig the stance and overall shape of the chassis much more than my last rail, which was too long for my taste.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 09:36:26 AM by komelika »

komelika

• Never stop learning!

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 10:14:51 AM »
Turns out that it is a Chenowth. I found the ID plate.

dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 04:48:49 PM »
well there you go. if you do sell the other and keep this one i'm betting you'll get tired of getting beat with that stock vw suspension pretty quick.

Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

komelika

• Never stop learning!

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 05:52:30 PM »
Probably. At minimum it will get 3x3 trailing arms if I keep it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up